REFLECTION

REFLECTION

z5018045
Yu Xie

I had a second go of at the aluminum torus. First I analyze the old torus I did weeks ago and figure out the problems and mistakes in 3 points: 
 
- Rough surface
- Centre & Sides not aligned
- Rough edges
- Uneven surface
- Centre sunken not equal at different place

I figure out that all surface problems are due to the use of wrong sandpapers and English wheels. Centre sunken unequal is because hammering too hard while shaping. Rough edges are also caused by hammering which can be fixed by using files. Centre & sides not aligned is caused by hammering and stretching center part too hard and cause the middle part become fatter than two sides. 


By Knowing all problems and how to fix them, I restart the project using same technique. First I gradually fold aluminium over the timber stump and hammering the it into stump's hollow at the same time. By doing this, hammering will do less damage to aluminium and it will create a smoother curve. Also I paid attention on not over hammer it too much and use both sharp and round part of hammer to shape it. This will make sure all centre hollow part will have same depth and curve.
 

Next step is to create a curve on both sides. While shaping it, I have to make sure it does not affect the centre hollow from last step. The hardest part of  this step is to make sure side curve align with centre hollow which I failed last time. Again, I have to keep checking the shape progress and also remind myself do not over hammer it. This take quite a while to perfect the shape.


The third step is mainly about English wheels. Most important thing about  this stage is to choose the right wheel to stretch the aluminium. Large English wheel is only used for centre hollow part. Small (blue) English wheels is used at side curve and area between centre and sides. Also, English wheel is used in all stages during this project.



After everthing is done, torus already have a better shape and curve compare to before. Final step is use sandpapers and files to remove small bumpies and hollows among both surface. First I use P120 to remove major bumpies, them perfect surface using P320 and P600. Finally I use files to perfect side edges.


Finished Product: 



 Comparison:

First go                                             Second go







评论

此博客中的热门博文

Harley 883 Iron fuel tank.